Monday, 21 April 2025

The Poetry of Who I am Now

Easter weekend and we got 5 days off school for it. I love the luxury of waking up and thinking, 'not tomorrow' especially when the rain is plashing down like this morning. The return to work will come but it's still not tomorrow, so I'm enjoying the lushness of no plans. 

I went to the allotment yesterday and began work, but the rain has cancelled my plans to return. I always thank the rain however it comes. Everything has suddenly greened as a result; the lawn, the tiny buds on the trees. Last weekend the Easter witches came, so my daughter was making wands and wreaths out of pussy willow catkins which I used to decorate the door after the kids had gone. Safe to say spring is properly here.

GloPoWriMo three weeks in and I'm still going strong here. I'm not able to write a whole poem every day, but every day I'm turning up at the page and trying to write something. 

Some of the poems I've written I really like, but I often feel that about poems early on. They feel so fresh and right, but then I put them aside for a bit and when I go back to them, they feel forced or they're trying too hard to be clever. So I work on them a bit and put them aside for longer, then work on them a bit more until I feel they're done. Then I put them aside for even longer and come back to them with a totally different eye. 

It feels strange to go back and read poems I fell in love with years ago. They aren't the same beasts or maybe I'm not. Sometimes I still love them and they still have a rightness about them. Other times they clash and just don't work or strut too much with their own poetic-ness. My writing style has changed in many ways over time, but it's more that I have changed.

Poetry for me is very much what I want to say right now: my emotions, my obsessions, what I'm looking at and thinking about now. Years down the line I may not see things that way anymore, but the poem is a snapshot of that moment, now gone. And like my teenage journals and blurry pre-digital photos I won't get rid of them just because they're cringe-worthy or not who I am now. I love how they show my growth and development. But, as Billy Connelly said, pay attention because it's all going to change tomorrow.

This was me in the early 1990s.


And this is where I'm at April 2025:


Day 13 

I’ve waited for the other shoe

for the truth to be spit out

knowing it would break open

the foundations where I stood

but I wanted to hear it

dug for it in the muck

that was shoveled high

just to be free of its stench


Day 14

I build a cage of discipline

woven with shoulds and musts

to I trap myself

inside I whittle away at time


Day 15 

slow motion summers where we were never pent up

running to the gold overtones of eight tracks and polaroids

we brought goldenrod, milkweed and violets

to the table of gray alleyways and riversilt

sneaker toes kicking the dirt


Day 16 – inspired by a Finnish female rapper who came to our school.

When?

Speculate to where I could be if I only spoke up.

I am just holding on.

Still holding back

hesitate hes     i       tate.

Never too late.

Feel myself close off. Intimidate.

Bite back.

Permission granted.


Day 17 

there’s no happiness in this

no peace either

yet I keep plunging myself deeper

I confess I felt dead

spiraling into silence into dust


Day 18 

rugby in black and white

bodies rumble into motion

pitch churned to mud

limb wrapping limb

grip bind


Day 19 

unstrung

I string myself along

vibrating synched to the wind

high-strung gutted and burned dry 

and fall like a broken kite

the sea pulling me away

I’m given to distractions

to remember to forget

when did I stop talking 

when he stopped listening

I’ve chosen to ignore

the opinions of the wind


Day 20 

myself in the abstract

the rain pelting down             this is content

I am torn from the page of the unmade bed          this is arrival

a husk of the moon                              longing

morning a word                      sanctuary

crumpled at the bottom of the laundry pile                  expectations 


It's taken me so long to write this post that tomorrow is the day I have to go back to work. But it's been a lovely long weekend. Enjoy what's left of your Easter holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment