I'm still struggling with the transition to working while being a writer, but I've had a good week of work and some small chunks of time to write. I've also had a weird twist that may make things even more interesting, but I'm holding judgement until I see what the results are.
Autumn is in full swing in Finland. I do like that we have four distinct seasons here, even if three of them are very, very short. I've always considered autumn my new year, Samhain, my birthday, the desire to get things done before I want to hibernate through winter, so I'm in a contemplative, taking stock mood. It's also our half-term holiday this next week, so it's my time to catch up on things that have been sliding while I'm settling into a new routine.
I was out this morning picking up windfall apples. I still need to get the kids into the last tree to pick the hanging ones. I'll spend this week ignoring my phone as I'm not waiting on work calls, cleaning up the garden, cooking the apples, putting away the trampoline and summer furniture, sleeping and writing as much as I can.
This weekend I've tried to catch up on some of the prompts I didn't finish in my last course. This morning I stared out the window and wrote a poem based on what I saw, one of the prompts I regularly suggest to my students. I'm mulling over a prompt on conkers I've had in my head for the past two weeks, lots of images but nothing to tie them together yet. And I'm sure there's a poem stuck to the burr that came back inside with me today.
I will wallow in autumn, in autumn writing full of spice and warmth, damp and earthy.
See you on the other side.
No comments:
Post a Comment