Sunday, 18 September 2022

Back-up and Carry-on

It's cold. A cardi, a blanket, a cat and a cup of tea kind of morning. After months of no proper rain, it spent a couple of days dousing us, but now it's autumn, bright-coloured and nippy. I picked my daughter up from a Scout activity yesterday and the Finnish forests were at their prime, the birch and spruce and lake contrast just beautiful. It won't last, so I'm making the most of a quiet morning before my Uni course starts back up and the kids come home, working on poetry and organising my writing. 

I'm doing lots of back-ups and rearranging files. My laptop spent the summer getting a few small things repaired and one of my external drives also died, so I'm chasing down old versions of files. All my writing seems to be backed up somewhere, but I lost some old books I produced back when Grimalkin Press was a proper small press almost 20 years ago. I have paper copies of almost everything, but, of course, I lost my copies of the one book someone contacted me to buy. I think I've managed to find them a second-hand copy and I'm trying to get the digital files restored, but it's made me want to go through my digital records and double-save everything. 

I like the idea of archives. I've kept a handwritten journal since I was 13, I keep old letters and writing notebooks. And millions of photos, both digital and paper. I keep back-ups of different collection ideas, of different drafts of poems and forgotten novels. But it's the organising of them that appeals, sifting through, deciding what to keep, what could be useful later. It annoys me that my careful hoarding has failed me this time. I hope in a couple of months I will have the files or photos of the poems again and will be able to create a new e-book if needed.  

I once spent weeks going through the submissions, letters and other paraphernalia of Chapman Publishing, setting aside things for their National Library of Scotland archives. The press is now defunct, but at the time it was one of the most influential voices in literary publishing in Scotland. We received early correspondence from writers who are now well known, from those who influenced Scottish writing. You never knew if that crazy letter from some young poet would be the first steps in their writing career. Boxes stored in a basement in Edinburgh holding treasure for some future researcher. 

Do you as a writer keep archives? Not just back-ups of current work, but rough drafts, various versions, and emails from other writers or presses. Do you keep written drafts, and notes from others on your work? I wish I'd kept some of the drafts I received from writers at writing groups I've been in over the years. Some of them have gone on to be excellent writers.

I love trawling through my history. Good material for writing there too. 

Enjoy autumn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment