Wednesday, 6 March 2019

Ticking Boxes

I thought I posted this week, but I guess I didn't. Time getting away with me and I can't remember if I had an interesting subject to look at. 

My online course with Wendy Pratt finished and I've gone back to my list of verbs from Angela Carr's suggestions. I'm still writing a poem draft daily, I've written over 40 poems so far this year. 

I'm getting my second unpublished collection ready to send out. I've edited it once and need to look at layout again. That means spreading it out on the floor and moving things about, but I just can't summon up the enthusiasm just now. Struggling with things just now. I should be sending my first collection out to other publishers, getting this one ready to go out.

I've been researching poetry publishers and it's depressing. The smaller publishers want or are only able to support their local talent which I respect, so often aren't interested in international writers. The ones who are big enough are in such high demand they shut their intake of unsolicited  submissions. I can't publish locally as I can't find a Finnish poetry publisher that publishes English collections, again fair enough, but it leaves me in an unhappy position of once again not fitting the right boxes though I try and do what publishers require.

I can see why so many writers are turning to self-publishing, though I don't think I'm there yet. There's a plethora of writers who want to be published, but with e-books, Amazon and people preferring social media and television to reading there's not many publishers looking for authors and poetry is always a struggle to sell on both sides.

For now I'll keep plugging along and hope that some good news will be forth-coming.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gerry
    I saw your lovely poem in The Writer's Cafe Magazine Issue 15 which happens to have one of my poems in it too. Do you remember me from the class you took in Glasgow university? You've inspired me to keep writing. I am so happy to see your work again. Lovely to connect.
    Leela xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leela, I did see you poem yesterday and remembered you and wondered how you were doing. I saw recently you had a new book come out last year, I think. Congratulations and well done for doing so well. Take care, Gerry

    ReplyDelete