I've started my double GloPoWriMo courses. I'm trying to write one poem in the morning and one in the afternoon, depending on time. Neither course has a theme, so I'm free to wander to whatever subject pops into my head. Again I'm not worried about finishing anything in a day, just to begin something, to shape it a little. I'm also not bothered if a theme doesn't grab me or if it's something like today when one of the prompts is 'your favourite colour' which I've covered in a couple of courses lately, so I'll just skip it.
I'm trying to work every day, but I'm surprised how missing one morning can throw me off. Not just because I'm a poem behind, but I can't focus as well if I try to fit it in between appointments and school runs. I like my slow start morning of reading the news, commenting on other pieces of writing in my courses and then posting my own work before starting a new poem. Anything else feels like I'm shoe-horning it in. As I've found with the kids, routines have their benefits to keep you focussed and on task.
I was in Switzerland over the weekend, catching up with friends. I made sure I had some time just on my own to explore Luzern and to write. Spring is already well under way there, so it was lovely to just sit in the sun and soak up the city, scribbling whatever popped into my head. Primroses, wild garlic, violets were popping up in every sunny corner. There's still snow in my back garden, though it's almost melted away. Even the birch trees in Switzerland were starting to affect my allergy, but it was worth it, just to get out for a bit. Chatting with friends and some new scenery has hopefully blown a fresh wind through my writing.
I'm trying to do some rewrites after my mentoring session. It's going very slowly as I can't see a way to untangle one of the poems, full of Finnish terms. Again that problem of making sure they're understood in the poem without weighing the text down with explanations while also getting my idea across. I make a few small changes and then leave it to simmer. Hopefully it will all come together soon.
Enjoy the sun wherever you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment