Sunday, 5 January 2020

Writing Stats for 2019

I'm always amazed how busy poetry editors are in the break between Christmas and going back to work in the new year. I've had yet another rejction from Granta which came as no surprise, but I've had three acceptances and two publications in the first four days of 2020.

My poem 'Saltshine' has been published in Barren Magazine's Issue 12 and my poem about early photographer Sarah Anne Bright 'The Quillan Leaf' in Lucy Writers' Funky Women Issue. Can't wait to have a bit of time to browse through both issues.

I've finally sorted through all my own submission records for 2019.

2019
155 new poems
221 submissions to magazines, 7 to book publishers
170 magazine rejections, 6 book rejections
27 acceptances, 1 win pamphlet competition
41 poems were published in 25 magazines or other venues, 21 online
45 blog posts, 1 guest blog post

Compared to last year:

2018
73 new poems
94 submissions to magazines, 8 to book publishers
65 magazines rejections, 9 book rejections
10 acceptances
15 poems were published in 7 magazines or other venues, 5 online
48 blog posts

I've upped my acceptance rate from 10% to 12% and had a pamphlet accepted for publication. In order to do that I've had to more than double my submission rate which in truth was easy as I had so many more poems to work with. With going back to work I probably won't be able to keep up those numbers, but I know what's possible and I hope to be able to build on these contacts once my pamphlet comes out.

I have a lot of poems I need to finish for 2020 and Angela Carr has published her prompts for her newest course (without all the cool poems and more details she includes if you take her course) so I'm going to also try and write a few new ones as well. I've decided against taking a course this month because I want to focus on getting more work and catching up on things like the final edits of my pamphlet. I've been going over it this week, fine tooth comb kind of thing. I love it, but I need to draw a line in the next day or so and send it off. I could over-edit if I'm not careful. 

So January 2020 is off and running. We'll see what my momentum is like once the kids are back at school and I'm available for work. 

2 comments:

  1. Like your poem 'Saw Her Standing There' very nice words I am in the same issue best of luck with your writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thom, thanks. I've gone to check yours out, I've fallen behind reading magazines lately, but I do try to dip in to any issue I'm in. It's wonderful, well done. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete